I woke up Tuesday everything I thought was normal. From Pearl not wanting to get out of bed with Gretchen ready to start her day. Got them both outside to go potty while I fixed their brunch in peace and quiet. Gretchen barked to let me know they were ready to come in. They each sat waiting for me to set their food bowls on the floor for them to eat. "OK, I said eat" and instantly they each started eating their food. I happened to glance over at Gretchen and she had blood coming out of her bum bum. OH,NOOOOOOOOOOOO I cried out. Here we go again. I grabbed the phone and called the vet got appointment for the next morning.
Fast forward Wednesday morning off to the vet we go. I think I could just tell Forrest (my car) to drive to the vet... he surely knows the way by now. When we pulled onto Port Sheldon Rd the girls start to barking, for they knew where they are going. You would think that they wouldn't like going to the vet after all the "ouchies " that have happen to them there but they do. That shows you that the vet's and the vet techs are awesome with the girls. I park Forrest and get out... open the back door to let the girls out. Diva Pearl jumps right out and Dr. Gretchen follows her in a heart beat. Up to the grass we walk... of course we have to stop to water it a little bit before we go in the hospital. They are waiting for us when we enter and the girls are asked to step up on the scale to get a accurate weight. Gretchen is still loosing and Pearl is still gaining slowly. We go in the exam room and the vet tech takes Gretchie to the back for her butt exam. She had her anal glands expressed while back there and Dr found that the blood / puss was coming from the left one. Whew, a infected anal gland I can deal with. She is on antibiotics for two weeks. Plus now a bi-monthly visit to get the anal glands expressed. I joked that I will be signing over many of my future paychecks to the Drs' here.
The Dr wanted to check Pearl's eye pressure while she was there. YEAH, the pressure is normal "8" in both eyes. Pearl was so patient during all this. The machine was not reading right and it took multiples tries and a phone call to the manufacturer to get it to work right. Vet said she just sat there not putting up any struggle. That is my Pearl for you. Glad that it is Pearl with the eye problem and not Gretchie. I would be a basket case trying to get all those drops in Gretchie eye.She fought me about just 2 drops a day could you imagine 8. I don't even want to think about it.
I have decide not to take Pearl to the ophthalmologist. I have not been working a full 40 hrs so I only have so much money to put towards all these bills we been racking up at the vets. To just walk in to see the ophthalmologist is around $150.00.
I discuss my concerns with Dr Meyer and she feels that they can continue to treat Pearl at the hospital, since we caught it so early and that she is responding so well to treatment. We are going to start weaning Pearl off of some of her med's but she will be on some form of med's the rest of her life..
I am soooo grateful that my girls aren't afraid of going to the vet. That makes all of this so much easier on me. None of the dogs that have owned me have been afraid of the vets. For that I am truly .....LUCKY
It is always something with your doggies, isn't it? Sadie had anal sac issues a few months ago. Not fun.
ReplyDelete